TUTORIAL OF MAKING THREAD EARRINGS + 2nd BLOG ANNIVERSARY

by - November 01, 2015

Hello Friends, Exactly on the same date TWO years back , I started this blog. Its been an amazing two year journey in which I have learnt a lot from my fellow crafter's and the challenges I participated. I thank all my blogger friends and readers for their support and encouragement given to my blog. Keep visiting my blog and do provide your comments/ feedback. 


Now moving onto today's post. Today I am sharing with you all the tutorial of making Peruvian thread earrings. I have made a post on these earrings last year ( see that post here).That was my first attempt and I was not satisfied with the result. I found the making of the coil to be extremely difficult as the wire which I had was little thick so I didn't continue making them. Last month when I had been for shopping I accidentally bought a thin floral wire instead of a thick one for flower making. Since the golden floral wire I bought was easily pliable and flexible I decided to try making thread earrings. 


I followed the tutorial of Ikologee but modified it a little according to the supplies I had.

Materials Needed :

1. Thick floral wire ( 22 gauge)
2. Thin floral wire ( 26 gauge )
3. Embroidery or silk thread
4. Cutter and plier
5. white glue


Silver wire - Thick gauge wire
Golden wire - Thin wire used for making coil

Procedure: VERSION 1: Making coil


Cut two thick wires of equal length. Take the thinner wire and start winding it around the thick wire.
The windings must be equidistant and close to each other. This is the most crucial step. If you didn't get it properly the first time try it as many times till you get a neat coil.


Wrap it around a circular object to remove any bend in the coil. Then join both the ends of the coil together and twist the wire tightly to form a tear drop shape. Take a single stand of embroidery thread and make a knot at the twisted portion. Start reeling the thread starting from the center of the tear drop. 


Continue to reel up the thread in the direction shown till it passes through every winding of the coil. Once finished make a knot at the top and trim the excess thread.



Similarly take a different color thread and start reeling it from the right side.


Make a small coil using the backside of a paint brush. Apply glue at the twisted ends and knots and slide the coil as shown. Make a loop at the top with the thick wire.



VERSION 2: Using small beads

Those who do not want to wind coils but still wanted to make thread earrings can use small beads and gear locks instead of thin wire.



Cut a piece of thick wire and add a gear lock at its one end. Add the beads one by one and add another gear lock at the other end.  Twist the ends of the wire together.


Start reeling the thread in between the beads and finally glue a small coil at the top.


Notes:

1. In the first step while cutting thick wires make sure they are of equal lengths. Leave some space about 2 cm long and then start winding the thin wire. Similarly leave some space after winding the coil maybe 5 cm. The length of the winding in both the wires should be the same to get two similar shaped earrings.
2. It is better to wear rubber gloves while winding the coil as the sharp ends of the floral wire might hurt your fingers.
3. While trimming the excess wire be very careful to avoid sharp ends. 
4. Start reeling the thread exactly from the center point of the earring then only all the winding will be covered. If you start from some other point you will be passing some winding without reeling.  


Hope you all liked my tutorial. Keep vising my blog... Happy crafting...

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. Congrats Ramya Happy Blog Anniversary and Lovely tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial, this is what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial, this is what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.
    Custom Printed Boxes Wholesale
    Mailer Boxes
    Pillow Boxes
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments