SUNSET AT THE BEACH - CLAY MURAL WORK

by - June 29, 2015

Hi friends, Welcome back to my blog!! As the post title says today's post is about sunset at the beach. As its pretty hot here we go to beaches almost every weekend. California is well known for its cliff lined beaches and beautiful lighthouses surrounded by a bed of rocks. Here during summer the sunset occurs between 8-8.30 pm. 


Two weeks back we had been to this amazing beach called "Grey whale cove" near half moon bay. We drove to the top of the hill and from there we overlooked the beach. Then we took a wooden staircase to go down to the waters. The beach was calm with a big lighthouse on top of a mountain and the different shades of blue in the water was clearly visible.An hour before the sunset the sky prepares itself by changing its colour. We can see pink, violet and yellow colour of the sky  This is the hour I love most so  tried to imbibe all of these in my creation.


The one thing that I miss in the US beaches are the beautiful coconut trees which I will find along the shores of Kerala beaches. So to fulfill my wish added two coconut trees. I wanted my painting to have a 3D effect so used air dry clay for the lighthouse and the trees. 


I recycled am old plastic plate for this project. I started off by applying a thick coat of gesso to the plate. Once its dried I sketched the outline of the painting. Then I took the sir dry clay and pasted them wherever I want. This is my first full fledged oil painting.  So I wasn't able to capture the full effect of sunset in this painting. Once the paint is dried I gave a coat of varnish. 


Submitting this to

Lulupu Challenge - " Summer splash" - I have created a beach themed mural painting.
City crafter challenge blog - " Lets get " nautical"
Allsorts challenge blog - " Blue as ocean"
Frilly and funkie challenge blog - " Summer"
Simon monday challenge blog - " Summer"
Altered eclectics- I have altered a plastic plate into a mural






You May Also Like

15 comments

  1. Isn't this lovely...I love your description of the beaches and you have used that to create this plate....I live by the sea,I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    Thank you for joining us over at Altered Eclectics...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this is amazing!! How very clever you are! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us here at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a fabulous project! Thank you so much for joining us at CCCB this week!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally awesome! Thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously... this is sooo unique and so cool!! I think you might be setting a new trend! I so have to try something like!! Thank you for the inspiration!! And thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing! What a beautiful project and so skilled. Thanks for joining in at City Crafter. Marina DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must have been a lovely sight Ramya! Beautiful mural! Thanks for sharing with us at Lulupu Challenge#50. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for playing along with our challenge this week Hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is just incredible!! I love how you put together this scene, the trees are amazing and your little rocks look so real!! Such a unique project, I just love the whole concept! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'It's Summer' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous project and I love the scene you've created with the clay ~ it looks absolutely amazing!! Thank you for sharing and playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!!! I was sure this was a bought pottery plate so I'm glad you shared the way you created this. Positively superb work! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's one really pretty scene, wish I was there. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics with such a great project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments